Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 45.2 (1999) in beautiful condition, loaded with extras
fast and comfortable cruiser, great boat for live aboard (couple or family), ready to sail away
hand over on the Bahamas, May 1, 2023
Sailing timeout on a great boat
We are a couple from Switzerland and this wonderful boat was our home for the last 3 years. We bought her in Greece in 2019 and since 2020 my wife and I have lived on the boat. In this time we have sailed over 15’000 nautical miles through the Med, along the Atlantic coast of Europe, Canaries, Capverde and crossed to the Carribean. Currently we are cruising the Winward Islands. Cuba and the Bahamas are the next and probably last destinations on our 3 year timeout itinary. In May 2023 we are heading back to Switzerland. If you‹d like to learn more about our journey, enjoy reading our blog.
Our journey is not finished yet, but it needs time to sell (and buy) a boat, so we are putting her on the market now, with the idea of handing her over to the new owner on the Bahamas in May 2023. From there she can easily be sailed either to the US or to Europe (May is the best time for the eastbound Atlantic crossing). EU-VAT is paid. As a third option the boat could stay in the Carribean of course. Between May and July there is enough time to sail her south to hurricane-safe locations like Grenada or Trinidad.
Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 45.2 is a fast, comfortable and safe cruiser. Genoa and main are both furling sails. With this boat sailing is as easy as it can get. All lines are handled from the cockpit. We have sailed most of the time just the two of us and never felt unsafe. On the other hand we have beaten many other boats both on the tack and downwind. We usually do between 6 to 8 knots.
Here are a few impression from the crossing from Tobago to Carriacou in October 2022, my comments in Swiss German 😉
She is a short keel version with a draft of only 1,65m (5,3 ft). This has given us the option to explore shallow waters, venture into rivers with strong tides and still always be on the safe side. Vertical clearance is a little less than 18m (59 ft) from the waterline. So those who would love to do the Atlantic Intracoastal Waterway in the US can do it with this boat.
The boat is a 3 cabin version with a big owners cabin in the bow and two double cabins aft for guests. There are two bathrooms/showers. We have used one for us and the other one aft for the guests. Originally the boat is made to sleep up to 10 people (!) but we decided to travel with a total of 6 people max, what we feel is still a comfortable way of living on this size of boat.
We have taken great care of her, kept her on a very high maintenance level and added many extras such as: Parasail (Oxley), Folding propeller (Flexofold), heating (Webasto), aluminium floor Dinghy (3D Tender) with 6 HP outboard engine (Mercury). Further more the boat is equipped with solar panels (400W) and a 650Ah battery bank (Victron). The boat is ready to go. Step on board and sail away!
GRP. Boats have been built in a very solid way in those times (1999). Osmosis is no issue.
14m x 4,5m x 1,65m
- Antifouling NEW in Sept 2022 (done every year)
- The upper bearing of the rudder is the weak point of the Jeanneau 45.2. Each boat of this line has to cope with this issue at some point of time. Our previous owner has done that in a most solid way. He added a stainless steel bar to support the bearing (NEW in 2017). Its now rock solid.
- It even hold firm when we were attacked by Orcas in fall of 2021 close to coast of Vigo (Spain). The animals distroyed the rudder completely but the bearing was and still is absolutely fine. We had to get a new rudder of course. So the rudder is NEW (2021) and stronger built than the original one from Jeanneau. Read the full story here.
- Deck is white GRP. Stays much cooler than teak, less maintenance, easy to wash and looking great
- big arch to carry solar panels and davits for the dinghy
- 10 Fenders with fender socks
- Standing rigging (NEW in 2020)
- running rigging in good conditions, ropes renewed when needed
- 4 Winches (2 speed) Harken, 2 x 44, 2 x 53, 2 NEW Harken winch handles + 2 older ones
- Kicker (NEW in 2021)
- Genoa boom, 6m long, 100mm diameter, aluminium (NEW in 2022)
- Goose neck (NEW in 2021)
Total of 6 sails
- Genoa & Main (2018), total 100m2
- Genoa & Main (older set of sails as spares)
- Parasail, Oxley Levante 15.50 (NEW in 2020), 140m2
- Round sail (Parachute) as a back up for the autopilot on long downwind crossings
Yanmar 4JH2-DTE, 80hp
Would you guess that this engine has already sailed 9000h? Probably not. The engine was overhauled in 2017. It is very reliable and we have serviced her every 200h (new oil, filters, impeller). Cruising speed under engine is 6-7 knots. No electronics, just high quality all mechanic engine from Japan.
- Exhaust pipe (NEW in 2020)
- Starter battery (NEW in 2019)
- Starter engine (NEW 2021)
- Alternator (NEW in 2022)
- Diesel tank holds 200 Liters and was professionaly cleaned in Sept 2022. Additionaly we carry 6 x 20 Liter diesel in jerry cans, so the total is 320 Liters, what gives us a range of at least 500nm under engine.
We carry 3 anchors:
- M1 Mantus 25kg (55lb), main anchor on the bow with 100m of 10mm chain. 3 years of sailing and the anchor never slipped.
- Danforth 16kg (35lb) with leaded line. We use it as a stern anchor. It can also be useful as ketch anchor (10m of 10mm chain ready for that purpose)
- Cobra anchor (spare anchor, newer used)
- Small diving bottle (10 Liters) in case you need to go down to solve a problem with an anchor
- Foldable gangway
- Many ropes and lines
- 3D-Tender, 270 Ultralight, aluminium floor, only 28kg (NEW in 2020)
- 6HP outboard engine, 4 stroke, Mercury. We bought it used but in mint conditions from a dealer in France in 2021.
- Davits (NEW in 2022) for the daily use. On long distances we carry the dinghy on the deck.
- The dinghy is fully equipped with external tank, lock, dinghy anchor etc.
Electricity and water
- 600 Liters in 2 stainless steel tanks (300 Liters each).
- Hot water from boiler (30 Liters)
- 2 Jabsco manual toilets, regularly serviced
- 12V/650 Ah battery bank, Victron (NEW in 2022)
- Charger/inverter Victron (2017)
- many 220V sockets (EU type and UK type sockets)
- USB & 12V sockets in every cabin
- Solar panels on arch in the stern, 4x100W (2017), can be monitored through bluetooth on your mobile phone
- Wiring all over-specs
Raymarine system from 2017, all instruments are interconnected with SeaTalk NG network
- Raymarine MFD eS75 Plotter with navionics charts in the cockpit
- 4 x Raymarine i70
- Raymarine VHF, DSC
- Handheld VHF Cobra (floating) HH350
- Class B AIS
- Airmar DST 810 (depth, speed, temperature), NEW in 2022
- Wind instruments on mast top
- Raymarine Autopilot (very solid! Did not take any damage from the Orca attack. Steered us almost non-stop 15 days across the Atlantic)
- 2 x PLASTIMO Olympic 135 compass, NEW in 2021
- Some paper charts and books
- Navigation lights, steaming light, decklight, anchorlight all LED
- nice, big nav table
- Life raft, Plastimo Transocean, 6 people (NEW in 2019)
- Flares (NEW in 2019)
- EPIRB (NEW in 2019)
- 4 Automatic life jackets (NEW in 2020, serviced in 2022) + 2 old life jackets
- Horseshoe lifebuoy with lamp
- PLASTIMO rescue sling with 40m line
- 8 Fire extinguishers, some NEW in 2019 (yes, I know, 8 is a bit exagerated…)
- Fire blanket
- Smoke detector in the galley (NEW in 2020)
- Bosun’s chair
- Loads of spares…
- Some tools, bring your own tools
- Diesel Heating Webasto Air Top STC 2000, NEW in 2019
- Dehumifier mobil unit (220V)
- SONY Radio/ bluetooth player (NEW in 2020), 4 speakers (two in the salon, two in the cockpit)
- WIFI Booster-Antenna with a router (creates your own Wifi Network on board)
- Calypso bed system in the owners cabin (NEW in 2020)
- 10 sets of bedlinen (maritime style)
- Vents in the owners cabin (NEW in 2021)
- Salon is large. When you step down the four steps from the cockpit you have the impression of an even larger boat. The room height is 195cm. I am 190 tall and feel comfortable. Big salon table where 6 people can dine in comfort.
- Ventilators in the owners cabin and the salon
- Lots of storage space. You would not believe how much space there is, especially in the owners cabin
- Blinds in the entire boat, NEW in 2020
- Galley with 2 flames and oven. Soliniod switch on gas bottles (NEW in 2022)
- Coffee machine, 220V, makes really nice coffee!
- Kitchen Machine Prep&Cook from KRUPS (220V), NEW in 2020
- BBQ KOBB. It is a mobile unit. You can take it to the beach or use it on the boat.
- Good quality pans, plates, silver, Tupperware …. kitchen is fully equipped
- Fridge (toploading) with two compartments. The big fridge is at about 6°C. The smaller compartment with separate lid cools to about 12° and is ideal for vegetables. Compressor NEW in 2020.
- Nice cushions in the salon (NEW in 2020).
- Lights are alle LED
- USB sockets in every cabin, 12V sockets in every cabin, 220V sockets in every cabin
- Big and comfortable cockpit with teak, huge cockpit table, 6 people can dine in comfort
- White, leather-style cushions in the cockpit
- 2 comfort seats, adjustable to different sitting positions
- Double helm
- Spray hood
- Shower in the stern of the boat (cockpit)
- Transom boarding ladder
What is NOT included in the deal
Personal items and navigation equipement like clothes, laptop computer, tablet, goggles, hand compass. Furthermore not included are fotos, the ship bell and the SUP.
Original manual from Jeanneau: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 45.2 manual
Maintenance Log EXTRA MILE (German): Maintenance Log Sept22
Artikel von Boot24.de über die Jeanneau 45.2 (in German): Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 45.2 – fast perfekt
Seriously interested? Contact us by email on email@example.com or through WhatsApp +41788079399
The boat is currently in the Carribean in Martinique. Arrange for a visit in November or December 2022.